Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Importance of Parent-Teacher Conferences



In order to help your child have a successful school year, you need to know what is expected of him/her, academically, from now until the end of the school year. I truly hope that many of you will take advantage of this week’s Parent-Teacher Conferences.  I was a bit surprised that only 30 parents visited campus for our Parent Pop-In Day. I am scheduled to visit my son’s school on Thursday to meet with his teacher, and I wanted to share the following questions, which I will be asking when I visit.

What skills and knowledge will my child be expected to master this year?




·         What will my child learn this year in key subjects like math, science, writing, and social studies?

·         Are there challenging academic standards in place at this school, and how do they compare with those at other school districts?

·         How do you inform students about the academic standards they're expected to meet? What kind of projects and assignments have you planned that will help my child meet higher academic standards?


How will my child be evaluated?




·         What kind of information do you use to evaluate students? How do you know if they're academically ready to move on to the next grade?

·         How are grades determined in your classroom?


What can I do to stay more involved in my child's academic progress?





·         What can I do at home to complement what is happening in the classroom?

·         How can I know on a daily basis what homework has been assigned?

·         How can I support the teacher's efforts in implementing higher academic standards?


How do you accommodate differences in learning?





·         Have you identified the way my child learns best?

·         What if my child has a different learning style and falls behind, or is a fast learner and is bored?
Please remember that all students
will be dismissed
 at 1:00 PM on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment