Sunday, December 16, 2012

Safety Above All Else


Like so many of you this weekend, I spent time with my son explaining the unexplainable.  I literally put work on pause and spent time with my sons, for with every tragedy, we are reminded that life is indeed short. 

Hunter, my eldest, is five, and was the only one of my three sons who made a connection to the horror that occurred. I would like you to share with your children what I shared with him - school is a safe place.  In speaking with your kiddos, highlight the security features that are in place at our school.  Help them understand that there is a plan in place, and their teachers will be there to help them if ever there is an emergency on our campus. 

Older children need to understand that even though these occurrences are unfortunately happening more often, they are still rare. Encourage your children to promote a sense of community in the school, and have them watch out for others in the school. Most importantly, continue your regular schedule and allow your child to come to school this week.

For additional suggestions, please visit:
  •  PBS has an article with flexible suggestions for answering kids' questions about the news, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) also has tips for students, schools, adults, families, responders and health professionals in dealing with tragedies: 



On behalf of Durham Elementary School, I extend our sincerest sympathy and love to all who may been affected personally by this event both directly or indirectly.  

As always, please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment