Thursday, November 8, 2012

There's nothing like the gift of time...

Every so often, I hear the sympathetic words from another parent, “I don’t know how you maintain a full-time job with three young kids.”  I will be the first to admit, it’s no easy task.  There are many days when guilt creeps in as I leave in the still of the morning before they are awake, and return long after they are tucked in and on their third dream.  I am fortunate to have my mom with me now, and her support is invaluable.  Simply put, I wouldn’t be able to give Durham 120% if she wasn’t around. 
There are moments when I am jolted to remember that I need to do what I tell every other parent to do – create some sacred, uninterrupted time with the kids.  This evening I saw how truly elated our students were to spend time with their parents and friends at our Taco Cabana night out.  When I arrived at home, I saw the same sparkle in my boys’ eyes.  Although I was exhausted from yet another long work-day, I had to have one of our after-school chats.   What routines have you established with your children to gain insight into their day?
“What’s in your backpack?”  Greet your child with this question, and you’ll discover a lot about what he/she does in class.  You can also:
·         Set aside time each day to go through their papers.  If possible, try to do it immediately after school while it is still fresh in their minds.
·         Look over work together.  Help them feel proud by making a specific comment about something they’ve done.  For instance, if they show you a picture drawn in art class, you might say, “The gray sky and big waves look just like our rainy day at the beach.”
·         Have them talk through math problems or science experiments to show what they learned.  They might explain how they found the perimeter of a triangle or why ants dig tunnels.
Children want nothing more than the gift of time, and that doesn’t cost a dime.







No comments:

Post a Comment